1. Good evening Papua New Guinea and a good evening to all our guests from across the pacific. We are about half an hour away from the official opening of the biggest sporting event in this region - the 2015 Pacific Games.
2. Yes. We’ve blown the TAVUR
We’ve pounded the GARAMUTS
And our warriors continue to beat the KUNDUs
Many months ago, our call was sent from our highest peak to the peoples of different tongues from the thousands of islands across the sea… to the North… to the East and to our neighbors to the South.
3. AND… they’ve answered our call to join us in this joyous event tonight. It is a feast of cultures, languages and color and a proud moment of for Papua New Guineans as we welcome our brothers and sisters to meet OUR family of 8 million people.
4. Twenty four years ago, another generation… and other time… we did the same. Our elders called on the bravest of our daughters to stand beside the strongest of our sons. None stopped short of answering the call to battle. None shied from the challenge of competition.
5. Today we do it again. A new generation has risen. We have called on ours from the from the Mighty Sepik to the Fly.
To those already initiated with the markings of adulthood.
To those who our elders rightfully call “men and women.”
We have sent our LAGATOIS to the islands and along the ever shifting volcanic sands.
We’ve called out to the mountains to our blood to come out of the mist in numbers to help defend our pride.
6. Tonight marks the start of a two week event that will define our country. Yes. Our path has been difficult. But we have risen to the call.
7. We will stand together - a multitude of languages… a multitude of peoples – as one nation.